I’ve included some of the homemade recipes you can use for taking care of your own skin. These came out of my time with Annette Finley. You may also be interested in the book she referenced. If you are, just click on the image of the book cover below, and it will take to a link where you can purchase it.
Coconut Oil Salt Scrub
2C coconut oil
1C Epsom salts
8 Drops essential oils (optional)
Mix coconut oil, Epsom salts and essential oils together in a bowl. Store in an air tight container until ready to use. Use as a body scrub, hand scrub, or foot scrub. Make sure to be careful if you use this in the shower. The coconut oil may leave your tub a little slippery.
Organic Homemade Lotion
½ cup Almond or olive oil (can be infused with herbs first if desired)
¼ cup Coconut oil
¼ cup Beeswax
Optional: 1 tsp Vitamin E oil
Optional: 2Tbsp Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
Optional: Essential Oils, Vanilla extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference
Note: I used everything in the ingredients for the lotion and it is extremely hydrating!
- Combine ingredients in a pint sized or larger glass jar. Mason jars work great, but you can also reuse pickle jars & olive jars.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jars loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to mix. When all ingredients are completely melted, pour into whatever jar you will use for storage (unless the jar you mixed everything in is what you will use for storage). Small mason jars are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Use as you would regular lotion. This has a longer shelf life than some homeade lotion recipes since all the ingredients are already shelf stable and no water is added. Use within 6 months for best moisturizing benefits.
Citrus Lip Gloss
3Tbsp sweet alsond oil (but coconut oil workd great too)
2tsp Beeswax (pearls or solid beeswax grated and measured)
1tsp Aloe vera gel
800 IU Vitamin E (two capsules)
4drops Lemon essential oil
3drops tangerine essential oil
Note: You can make this into whatever scent you like
- Melt Beeswax and almond oil together in a heatproof container over boiling water.
- When melted, remove from heat.
- Add honey and Vitamin E, mixing briskly with a wire wisk
- Add aloe vera gel, and continue to mix briskly.
- When almost cool and set, add the essential oils and mix. Do not stop whisking while the micture is cooling—the ingredients could separate and you would have a lumpy mixture.
- Store in a low widemouthed jar, or any container that suits you.